[Dixielandjazz] FW: Tip Optional - Was Cruises

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 6 10:34:58 PST 2008

Steve wrote, about tips on cruise ships:
I don't think that's the case anymore. I heard they are now mandatory.
And rightly so because the crew/staff are woefully underpaid. Those who
cruise and do not tip are cheapskates.

Mandantory tips are normally written into the cruise costs, and are clearly
mentioned in the info you receive, so there it is difficult to be a
"cheapskate".  Your "ship card" is charged during the cruise for these tips.

I haven't done the jazz cruises, so wouldn't know how the musicians are
treated, but I suspect the musicians will get the normal "card" to chalk up
their on-board costs ,and the tips would show up there. Although their rooms
have been paid for by the organizers, I would suppose the ship will only
"see" them as "another guest", and these charges (it would seem to me) would
appear on their bills. They will certainly know whether they were charged or
not.

Concerning the comment of the "underpaid staff":  the staff are mostly from
poorer countries, and these people are extremely happy to have the job (the
ones I have talked to).  They work for several 8 month tours & then take
their earnings home & start a business, open a shop, buy a home, etc.
That's only a generalization, of course, and may not be applicable to
everyone.

Jim

The following from the Holland America Cruise Line web page:
Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets
the highest standards. This includes those crewmembers who serve you
directly, such as dining room wait staff and the stewards who service your
stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts
whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that
the efforts of all of our crewmembers are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel
Service Charge of $10 per passenger is automatically added to each guest's
shipboard account on a daily basis. If our service exceeds or fails to meet
your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the
cruise. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line
crewmembers, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15%
service charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine
purchases.