[Dixielandjazz] Is Music Visual? - The other opinion.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Feb 6 10:44:05 PST 2008

You know Steve that's a mixed bag.  People today seem to demand movement
from their performers.  TV is a visual, moving medium unlike radio.  Why not
classical performers?  Well probably because they are really bad at it.  I
was watching a woman playing Mozart and she was quite good but she looked
like she was having an orgasm much like Meg Ryan's restaurant scene.  It
added a whole another dimension to Mozart that day.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When I worked at Missouri School for
the Blind we were told to not allow students to rock back and forth because
it was considered a "blindism" but when Ray Charles did it people seemed to
like it as part of the show.

IMO the most successful OKOM bands and performers have some movement in
their acts.   It could even be as simple as a soloist walking out in front
to play.  People like it and I suppose these performers were trying to key
in on that.  Some people like their classical performers to act and be very
dignified and high toned but if we look back over history it just wasn't
that way.

Andre Reiu has one of the most successful classical traveling groups with
tickets running $100 each to packed houses.  He has novelty, lots of color,
movement - usually himself and of course wonderful musicians.  This guy uses
all the tricks to work the crowd and they love it.

Personally I am trying to work those things into my act and that could be
the reason why I worked three gigs yesterday and could have worked a fourth.
It's show biz - lights camera action ---  Why should classical performers be
exempt.  As I recall Victor Borgia was very visual in his performances and
funny too.
Larry
St.L