[Dixielandjazz] Re ''Recording direct from sound system"

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Feb 6 10:21:47 PST 2008

There are several recorders that will do it.  I use a ZOOM H4 that is small,
does a good job and has line inputs as well as separate mike inputs if you
want to use them.

BUT!!! I think you will get a very lopsided recording.  If you are using
vocal mikes that's what you will get mostly.  You will need mikes on
everything and your mixer or PA will have to be set up for stereo.  If you
mike everything, like as in a studio, then that sort of defeats the purpose
of having something lite and easy to carry.   I say that because most bands
don't mike everything.  If you have enough mike inputs on that mixer (you
said 8) then you might give a few extra mikes a try.  I think that getting a
proper mix, on the fly, on a gig, would be very problematical.  I have tried
to get good recordings on gigs and it's a hit or miss proposition.  There's
always something wrong.  I think the Zoom set out about 6 ft in front is
going to be the best of all worlds.  It's fast, set and forget, gets good
coverage, is lite and small.  Even though it's an excellent piece of
equipment at a reasonable price there are times when it just can't duplicate
a studio situation.

If you want to record live, the Zoom and others like it can be put on a
stand out in front and use the built in mikes or not.  You can get as
elaborate as you want such as add as many mikes as your mixer can hold.  The
only caveat about the ZOOM is that you have to use a camera tripod unless
you want to come up with something that will mount it.  Personally I don't
like the idea of camera tripods out in front of the band because of the
looks and the trip hazard but you can put a couple of mikes on stands and
plug them into the zoom to pick up a wide angle of sound and in stereo.  I
am working on a couple of ideas to mount it to a mike stand.

The best thing is to give one a try that way and if you are satisfied with
it then great.  Just get a recorder that has a line in.  That mixer has a
line out so try it.
Larry
StL