[Dixielandjazz] Cruise Gigs

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 08:22:00 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 1:14 AM, Scott Anthony wrote:

> Excuse me, but I was on that very cruise plus at least 15 previous
> ones. You
> were'nt, and I don't remember seeing you on any of the previous
> ones. I know
> what was included and what was not. Alcoholic beverages have never
> been
> included in "board" any place I have played. Do you consider that
> "nickel
> and diming?" Similarly, festivals pay for musicians' rooms, but not
> tips to
> the housekeeping staff, so I don't think that applies either.

Yes I consider it nickel & diming. And yes, I routinely play venues/
events where alcohol is included,for the band along with food.
Also,if you get the room free, you should have the tips paid for. I
consider that their not being paid for by the booker is nickel &
diming the musicians.

> My point was that the overall value of these cruises to us and our
> companions far outweighs what we have to pay for, and since you've
> not been
> on any of the cruises you are talking about, IMHO I can't see how
> you can be
> such an expert.

I understand what you mean by value. However, I also think that the
true value of a cruise is what a musician would be paid if his spouse
or girlfriend did not accompany him. In that instance, I should think
a monetary offer in lieu of a free trip for a companion, would be the
cost of the cruise plus travel. Like if you go alone, do you get paid
$1500-2000, or so? If that is the case, I agree that OKOM cruise
musicians are well compensated.

Also, whether or not I have been on  cruises has nothing to do with
the issue. The bottom line is that what I reported on the list is true
as you have verified above. And, I don't claim to be an expert on
anything. I am only claiming accuracy of my posts and belief in my
opinions stated in them.

BTW, My dad was Vice President of the Italian Steamship Line, NYC
office before WW 2, and with Ameican Export Lines after the war until
his passing. We cruised at least once a year from 1937 to 1941, and
then from 1946 to 1960. While I am not an expert on cruises (who is?)
I do have some limited knowledge of the business.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone