[Dixielandjazz] Cruises

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Feb 6 00:09:11 PST 2008

 Stephen G Barbone wrote:

Scott Anthony:
> On Feb 5, 2008, at 11:25 AM,Scott Anthony wrote: (polite snip)
>

>> Steve, you really ought to get your facts straight and think a  little
>> bit
>> before writing such know-it-all drivel.
>>
>> That's all I have to say, so response is not necessary.

Steve Barbone:
> Excuse me Scott, but a reply is necessary because what you accuse me  of
> is exactly what you have just done.
>
> The most recent OKOM Jazz  cruise is the one I cited. Returned just  two
> weeks ago.  For your information, neither alcoholic drinks nor the  cruise
> staff tips were included in the band board. Plain and simple  fact that
> the musicians had to pay for them both. (After all, what is  a Lobster
> dinner without a nicely chilled bottle of white wine to  accompany it). So
> before you post about people "who ought to get their  facts straight"  you
> might start with yourself.
>
> And that IMO is nickel and diming musicians who are already being had.

Steve, If I am on a gig and booze is supplied, fine.  If not, and if I want
booze, then I will buy it myself.

If on a gig, if I am served by a bartender or waitress, if I feel like
tipping, I will.

BTW- The JazzSea Cruises are "Tip optional."

Amplifying on what I said before about bartering:

By the person putting on the Jazz cruise covering myself and my wife's
airline fare, and our first class cabin, they are paying me equivalent of
$400 to $500 a day to play one or two sets -- Usually one in the evening if
you are in port and two if on the ocean.

I know that with all the fantastic gigs you get, that is just pocket change
to you.  But I'll take this deal any day.

Give it up.

--bob ringwald