[Dixielandjazz] Free Entertainment

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Fri Feb 1 20:14:49 PST 2008

Mr. Howard,
I'm a former member of Stumptown Jazz, having played with the band from
1984-1989. I'm also a contributor to the Dixieland Jazz Mailing List,
hence I received your message today.

Stumptown was, before, during and after my employment with them,  a
professional organization, even though most of the members had other
full-time occupations. We never played any gigs for free or "exposure,"
whatever that oft-used term really means. (It seems to me it's always used
by some individual or organization to avoid paying for entertainment.)

Following my tenure with Stumptown I performed professionally in New
Orleans until 2002, leading my own band for 10 years, six nights-a-week.
During my time there I was never, EVER, asked to play for free -- simply
because people in New Orleans feel, and rightly so, that the many years of
learning one's craft deserve proper compensation. Obviously that attitude
is not taken in other places in the U.S., and Oregon is one of those
places, since I've asked to play for free on several occasions since I
returned here in 2003.

Get real. Professional musicians DON'T play for free.

Sincerely,
Chris Tyle