[Dixielandjazz] Working for Free was Stumptown

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 19:51:29 PST 2008

Ginny, Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote: (polite snip)

> Those that I talk to from the working bands look forward to going
> each year.  I have different info that you on the compensation.
> Free airfare and free balcony suite or better lodging for the
> musician and spouse or partner.  They tell me they feel they are
> getting a free vacation.

No doubt that's what they tell you. However they should be paid in
addition to room and board. Just the same as if they were working at a
resort. The Captain gets paid, the crew gets paid.  Why is it that the
musicians, do not get paid. (except for a very, very few) The rest of
them play for nothing and that is stupid because if they demanded fair
wages, they would be paid fair wages. We musicians have created the
image that music is fun, we do it because we love to play, and we will
play it on the cheap.  A few of us, especially the professionals who
earn their living in music, resent that image and those who have
created it.

> Don't mind being judged stupid and deplorable when I'm having such a
> good time.  Actually that's probably how some folks were judging me
> during Gaslight Square heyday, and the Goldenrod Ragtime Festivals
> too, so it's a familiar judgement.  Actually I look at these cruises
> as investments that make me musically smarter every year while I
> enjoy myself.

You are not being judged in any way Ginny. You are not playing with
"working" bands on these cruises but taking a vacation. If that is
what floats your boat (pun intended) pay the money and go for it. I am
commenting on the so called "working" bands that give their music
away, not semi pro or amateur musicians who go on cruises with their
peers to jam.

Or to get back to the original thread, compare it to the proposed band
at the baseball stadium.  If musicians pay to go to baseball games for
personal enjoyment, why then shouldn't they play for nothing at the
ball park if they get in free, get great seats,  a free hot dog and a
Coke? Following the cruise band logic, that would be justifiable. So
what then, was wrong with our baseball marketing guy asking Stumptown
if they would be interested in doing so?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone