[Dixielandjazz] Working for Free was Stumptown

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 18:21:09 PST 2008

In a message dated 2/1/2008 4:14:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

And now  there are cruises
where musicians pay full price, just to get a  chance to play. (imagine
40 banjos on the most recent one)That's  even worse. Who among us will
write to the cruise operator and raise  hell?

Not me!  Because I have paid full price for six of these and signed up  for
number seven.  I wonder why?  Could it be exchanging St. Louis for  the
Caribbean in January?  Could it be the 1000 plus other friendly souls  on board?
Could it be that I don't have to put up with any other music but  Dixieland in my
ears for a week or ten days?  Could it be the fun of  playing music with a
variety of musician-friends--some of whom I see only  annually on these cruises,
some of whom are new friends I make each  year?  Could it be fine dining each
day without taxis, parking, etc.  etc.?  Could it be that if I want I can
listen to live Dixieland from a  variety of providers from the time I wake up
until I retire?  Maybe it's as  simple as the beach at Half Moon Cay.

Those that I talk to from the working bands look forward to going each  year.
 I have different info that you on the compensation.  Free  airfare and free
balcony suite or better lodging for the musician and spouse or  partner.  They
tell me they feel they are getting a free vacation.

I have done quite a few cruises and this beats the usual cruise hands  down.
Oh, almost forgot, husband loves it too.

Don't mind being judged stupid and deplorable when I'm having such a good
time.  Actually that's probably how some folks were judging me during  Gaslight
Square heyday, and the Goldenrod Ragtime Festivals too, so it's a  familiar
judgement.  Actually I look at these cruises as investments  that make me
musically smarter every year while I enjoy myself.
Ginny

48)