[Dixielandjazz] Working for Free was Stumptown

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 1 20:36:03 PST 2008

Like you said originally nothing was "wrong" with the marketing guy  asking.
Nothing's "wrong" with musicians who accept, or refuse.  As I  see it, Mr
Event Man is offering what he thinks, or at least hopes, is a deal  someone will
take him up on.  He thought he was offering something in  return.  Sure, it's
insulting as a musician to get such an inquiry.   No one likes others to be
ignorant about what their job demands.   But what's writing Event Guy insulting
letters going to  accomplish?  More friends for OKUM?  I don't think so. I
admired your  first original point; i.e., open the dialogue.

I just don't get resenting the bands or musicians who think the terms of  the
specific cruise you brought up; i.e, JazzSea (since it is the only  one now
booking full charters of that size and/or having a specific program  for a
banjo band) is a fair offer for the musicians.  Being jealous of  a deal some
bands and other musicians worked out some years ago  that keeps getting repeated
to them is something I can understand.

Let's look at it another way.  All passengers pay more to hear one  band
every day of the cruise, so that band can get paid money for every  hour they
play.  Now add that band's transportation and expenses  including room cost at
full fare--since the travel agent now has very  limited sales and can't get
things like comp rooms.  How much more  would that add to the cost of the cruise?
More than all but that band's  richest fan would pay.  And meanwhile the
band's accommodations are in the  most modest rooms just like in the good old days,
right?  So no cruise  happens because there are no customers.  Who gains then?

A whole different subject is professional cruise ship  entertainers.  Those
who want to "make it" with an OKUM emphasis,  can't.  I'll stop. :?)

Ginny

P.S. No need to resent the guy who plays the baseball game for great seats,
beer and a hot dog either--it all depends on the team and the game.

In a message dated 2/1/2008 9:52:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

Ginny,  Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote: (polite snip)

> Those that I talk to from  the working bands look forward to going
> each year.  I have  different info that you on the compensation.
> Free airfare  and free balcony suite or better lodging for the
> musician and  spouse or partner.  They tell me they feel they are
>  getting a free vacation.

No doubt that's what they tell you. However  they should be paid in
addition to room and board. Just the same as  if they were working at a
resort. The Captain gets paid, the crew  gets paid.  Why is it that the
musicians, do not get paid.  (except for a very, very few) The rest of
them play for nothing and  that is stupid because if they demanded fair
wages, they would be  paid fair wages. We musicians have created the
image that music is  fun, we do it because we love to play, and we will
play it on the  cheap.  A few of us, especially the professionals who
earn  their living in music, resent that image and those who have
created  it.

> Don't mind being judged stupid and deplorable when  I'm having such a
> good time.  Actually that's probably how  some folks were judging me
> during Gaslight Square heyday, and  the Goldenrod Ragtime Festivals
> too, so it's a familiar  judgement.  Actually I look at these cruises
> as  investments that make me musically smarter every year while I
>  enjoy myself.

You are not being judged in any way Ginny. You are not  playing with
"working" bands on these cruises but taking a  vacation. If that is
what floats your boat (pun intended) pay the  money and go for it. I am
commenting on the so called "working"  bands that give their music
away, not semi pro or amateur musicians  who go on cruises with their
peers to jam.

Or to get back to  the original thread, compare it to the proposed band
at the baseball  stadium.  If musicians pay to go to baseball games for
personal  enjoyment, why then shouldn't they play for nothing at the
ball park  if they get in free, get great seats,  a free hot dog and a
Coke? Following the cruise band logic, that would be justifiable. So
what then, was wrong with our baseball marketing guy asking  Stumptown
if they would be interested in doing  so?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

48)