[Dixielandjazz] FW: JazzSea Cruise

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Feb 2 04:49:15 PST 2008

>The crew, predominantly Indonesian and Filipino work all day every day (now
here I did feel uncomfortable as if anyone's being exploited, they are!) and
their wives and families are left at home for up to 11 months a year.

Judy.  Most of those that I have spoken to on cruises (not jazz, but normal
cruises)are there for the money, which to most of them is a great deal.  It
seems many do several "tours", then open a business or whatever in their
home town from their earnings.
I don't believe they are exploited, as they know what they are getting into
when they sign up.  I've spoken to musicians, waiters & cabin help.  By the
way, your "predominant" countries will change depending on the shipline you
are on.  Italian cruise line Costa has more Eastern European help, for
example.

Same thing goes for the quite poor islands in the Caribbean that the ships
visit.  Every single cab you get, the driver will tell you "please tell your
friends to come...the money is great for our island".  So, the common
feeling that we all carry with us ("gee, am I showing off by spending my
money here?") can be put at rest.  The visiting ships help the economy of
these islands a great deal.

I will reserve my feelings on playing for free on a ship or anywhere
else...at least discussing whether others should or not.  I will say,
however, that I don't...nor would I personally do it.

Off for a 15 day cruise at Easter leaving Hong Kong, and visiting Manila,
Borneo, Singapore, 2 stops in Viet Nam & one stop in China.  We travel with
two other couples, none of which are musicians!  I have a daily go on my
mouthpiece while waiting for the wife to dress for dinner!  She's happy that
I'm not hurrying her, and I'm happy 'cause I'm not sweating the time!!  :>

Jim