[Dixielandjazz] Special Thanks

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Feb 4 10:26:54 PST 2008

What you did was, at least in my thinking, a little different at least I
think so.  These people approach me with a business deal and we strike a
contract and I get paid.  They get to advertise that they have quality
entertainment and make money off of it because their patrons will continue
to live there.  It's a business deal.  I advertise to them and let them know
that I am available 24/7.

The people that do it for free advertise, maybe by word of mouth or in some
other way or make personal calls to compete with me.  The corporations then
make money from their services and render nothing back to them.  I have been
in a couple of groups where the leader would say "does anyone have any ideas
about where we can play?"  Then members go out and beat the bushes and come
up with something.

What I am saying is that these groups actively solicit the venues to
perform.  The Shriner's band, for example, will call a bunch of nursing
homes and in about an hour have an entire concert season filled.

The other thing is that the entertainment is more or less scheduled and at
least minimally advertised as a part of the corporate business plan.

I am assuming that there was one or more of these conditions that didn't
exist and there are other considerations.  Family happens to be one.  When
my daughter, many years ago, lay dying in a hospital, over the weeks I
played my guitar and sang.  Sometimes I played recorder flute for her.  She
was in a ward with a dozen other children and I didn't tell them to not
listen but I entertained the whole group.  This was for family and the
hospital did not advertise entertainment nor did they solicit me and while
they do have volunteers come in they do not hire musicians on any sort of
regular basis.  There are just some things that rise above business.

What you do for your religion or family is of no professional concern to me
nor should it be to anyone else.

I think what Steve, myself and others want is that we don't sell ourselves
short, we don't unfairly compete with others and make a good return for our
time and talent.  Many of the musicians that compete with me are retirees on
fixed incomes that need the money.  Yes I charge more than most of them but
I would think that this more than levels the playing field in their favor
and at the same time pays me fairly.

There is another thing and that is that when I charge them X amount of
dollars then others can charge them a higher rate and get it which in turn
makes it easier to get what I want.  In that way I am doing them more
service than all the unions stacked up.  I could, if I wished, cut anyone
but I would rather try to improve the musician's lot as well as my own.
Larry
St.L
Larry
St.L