[Dixielandjazz] Special Thanks

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 13:10:25 PST 2008

to Ginny Luetje for joining me in St Louis to play at my mom's living facility.  Yes, she did it for free.  And I am truly grateful!

Mom's been in 8 different living situations since May of 2006, and dad died 3 weeks into #2.  So, it's been a rough couple of years for her, and I had a feeling this would help perk her up a bit.  And, given that this place she's in now (assisted living) is the best yet, I wanted to give a thanks to the staff, who is wonderful from top to bottom, and the other residents who have treated Mom with love, kindness, and true friendship.

So, my friend Elliot (a terrific tenor banjoist) agreed to do the trip and gig with me, for no more compensation than a trip to his old stomping grounds and a place to sleep overnight.  And Ginny agreed to do it as well...why, I don't really know, but it's wonderful that she did.  It turns out that Ginny and Elliot share a past life with a  specific B&D Symphonie model, and have many mutual friends in St Louis.  (Elliot's been gone from St L since the late '70s, with far too few visits back.)  So, it was win/win for Elliot and me, and I guess Ginny enjoyed herself too??? ;)

At least she got a decent meal out of it!!!!

Yes, it was free.  But, there's been a much higher payment to me, and it's a longterm contract--the care of my Mom.  And, since most of my family has rarely heard me playing jazz, this was a treat, to play for those who were able to be there.

I can't express to Ginny and Elliot my adequate thanks for their playing.  Mom was absolutely thrilled!  And, I truly think everyone who was in the audience left with a smile and a little more energy in their step.  The number of people singing along with EVERY song, not just the ones we sang and invited participation, was staggering.  The smiles and the response were more than payment, to me at least.

Now, don't worry SB--we won't do it for free next time.  This was a special occasion.  And, Larry Walton, I'll be contacting you too!

steve 'thank God for Mitch Miller albums' hoog