[Dixielandjazz] Gigging in Australia was It's a small world

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 08:27:21 PST 2008

And those who do the cruise to hear the bands might pay it.   Those who go to
be a Jammer or a banjo player (and pay to take spouses/partners)  might or
might not.  I think, but don't know, that these cruises started  via bands
recruiting their own fans.  I'm more sure that the growth  percentage has been in
the Jammers and banjoists.  (Six or so years ago  there were 12 Jammers--this
year 100.  The Tim Allan banjo aspect is,  I think, about four years old.  I
don't know the exact number--your number  was 40.  There is a stage full playing
the main showroom show.  Some  do banjo with both Tim & Jammers--some choose
only one.  Folks that  want to can just take whatever instrument they want and
create their own playing  opportunities within parameters of bothering other
passengers.)  SO, I  suspect that someone even more clever could put together
a cruise offer that  would have lots of takers without bringing any bands IF
buyers knew they were  not paying TOO much more than cruise would cost anyway.
These cruises as  might be expected attract an older crowd who have done many
cruises.  They  are relatively sophisticated cruise shoppers and comparers.

I have not ever polled the passengers to see who got what "perks", such as
bottle of wine, corkscrews, travel bags, umbrellas, a party invitation,  etc.
But there are "extras"  Nor have I compared what the bands  get in the way of
perks, quality of rooms, etc. compared to what the  passengers get.  I just
know we had a room with balcony on an upper deck  and I saw plenty of band
members staying on that deck.

Anyhow, I know I'm missing plenty of facts in this discussion.  In my  year
or two of following this list, I don't recall anyone else getting  the last
word in a discussion with you.  So I'm not planning to  either.  I'm just hoping
I now can stop myself. :?)
Ginny

In a message dated 2/4/2008 9:55:12 A.M. Central Standard Time,