[Dixielandjazz] Gigging in Australia was It's a small world

barbonestreet at earthlink.net barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 07:55:03 PST 2008

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote:

>Good Morning Steve,
>Now you're catching on!  There is hope for you after all.   LOL.  By the way,
>I know at least some of the JazzSea bands have not  done the cruise
>"vacations" when gigs were the better offer.
>Ginny

Hi Ginny:

Yes, there's even hope for me. We are all sinners. Like anything else, there are no absolutes. Barbone Street does free gigs for legitimate charities every year, in hospitals and charity wards etc. Those where the people are down and out and there is no budget for entertainment.

But we make sure that we get paid fairly when there is money available. Cruises fit that money available category and it is a shame that bands do not negotiate to get some, even if only to pay for a bottle of wine with dinner, or a drink, or the mandatory crew tip all of which are not included in the room and board. Easily done if only the cruise operator would charge another $12 to $20 dollars per person to cover the band pay. Or agree to take a little less net and keep pricing the same.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone