[Dixielandjazz] Brasilian Choro

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 13:36:15 PST 2008

Hi Dave et al,

Choro is indeed a near relative of ragtime and early jazz. Even the tune structures are similar: usually there's an intro, theme #1, theme #2 (often in the relative minor or the relative major if theme #1 is in minor), reprise theme #1, modulation, theme #3 (up a fourth). After variations on #3, they often return to theme #1 before a coda. There is usually a lot of melodic embellishment and frequently some jazz-style improvisation on the harmonies.

When I lived in Sao Paulo in the 1970s, choro was in retreat although some old-timers were still around, but it wasn't easy to find live choro gigs. The concerns often voiced on this list about the future of OKOM applied equally to choro in the Brasil of the 1970s. Then something happened that turned this around: talented young musicians seeking a challenge took up the music (it needs a great deal of technical skill and the right feel to play choro well) and began composing a lot of high quality material in the old tradition. They soon started recording and the tradition was saved in a similar way that Klezmer music was rescued.

My hope is that this will happen to OKOM as well. It takes a lot of musical skill to play traditional jazz really well and I hope that talented youngsters will continue to keep the tradition alive (as relatively young guys like Duke Heitger and Evan Christopher are doing).

Regards to all and check out choro: it's spirited, melodious music and great fun.

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk

P.S. Forro comes from a different tradition: it's the dance music of parts of the Brasilian North East and is predominantly played in baiao rhythm by accordeon, guitar, and percussion.