[Dixielandjazz] Selling Entertainment with a positive message.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 06:52:43 PST 2008

Perhaps we can market Dixieland programs similarly to the way Broadway
markets their shows? Below article is  excerpted for relevance. What
could be more uplifting than OKOM? And we could discount admissions
selectively, like "Kids Free".
Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

December 10, 2008 - NYTIMES - by Patricia Cohen
Marketing Broadway: Selling Hope for a Song

Although Broadway, like pretty much every other industry, is taking
its lumps this season, some theater veterans are hoping that as
portfolios go down, the appetite for entertainment will go up.

That view is part of what is prompting Disney to alter its marketing
to fit the mood. A recent television advertisement for “Mary Poppins,”
one of three Disney shows on Broadway, featured enthusiastic customers
talking about the musical being “so full of hope for the family, for
better times ahead.”

David Schrader, executive vice president of Disney Theatrical
Productions, explained, “We’re adjusting the message to include
comfort in addition to escapism.”

The original P. L. Travers book, “Mary Poppins,” which was quickly
followed by several sequels, was published in 1934, during the
Depression, he noted, and the ads are intended to remind viewers “that
family is more important than money.” The testimonials emphasize that
“when times are challenging, this is a feel-good moment,” he said.

The new commercial is just one of several adjustments Disney has made
to its marketing strategy in recent weeks, including . . .  a children-
go-free promotion for all its shows . . . that begins soon after the
new year. .

. . . Hugh Hysell, president of the promotions and marketing company
HHC Marketing, which often works with SpotCo, said: “Entertainment has
always been there as a form of escape. Our job is to let people know
that in terms of the experience, you get much more value for the
money. . . .If you’re going to choose only one thing to spend your
money on, this show can give you that experience you’re looking for.”

Discounts remain an important lure in tight times. “Pricing on
Broadway is much more flexible than it might appear,” Mr. Hodges
said. . . . And some new shows like “Shrek: The Musical” and “Guys and
Dolls” are even offering discounts before opening night, a rare
practice for big-budget musicals. The idea is to create buzz. As Mr.
Schrader often remarks, “The No. 1 reason people tell us they pick a
show is word of mouth.” . . .

There is no one-size-fits-all strategy, everyone agrees. Are you
selling a long-running show or a new one? Musical or drama? Are you
trying to attract younger viewers? We evaluate who is the audience,
and what is the message that will convert them to a sale.” . . . Mr.
Hodges said he did think audiences were particularly receptive to
messages of uplift and comfort now.

“Now is the right time for ‘Hair’ to be here,” he said, ticking off
songs like “The Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In)” as bringing a
message of hope. “There’s also joy and uplift in ‘Billy Elliot,’ ” a
musical set during the 1980s recession in England.