[Dixielandjazz] Skokiaan

Hal Vickery hvickery_80 at msn.com
Sat Dec 6 15:26:38 PST 2008

I'm guessing there is more than one version of "Skokiaan" and the one of them (the one I'm familiar with) has the words "happy, happy Africa" in them.  That's the version Louis recorded.  I can't help but plug my favorite Swedish purveyor of OKOM at this point:  Here is a version of Skokiaan (the "happy, happy Africa" version) by the Carling family in 1993 with Gunhild on trumpet, vocal, and dancing; Gerd on trombone and dancing; and Max on clarinet.

I think Gunhild was about 16 years old when this was filmed.

Hal Vickery