[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Sokiaan

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Thu Dec 4 12:25:41 PST 2008

Louis Armstrong recorded "Skokian" (or "Skokiaan")  on a 78 rpm record in 1954
Search with Google for more.
Craig Johnson

>From "Wikipedia.com"
"Skokiaan" is a popular tune originally written by Zimbabwean musician August Musarurwa (d.1968) (usually identified as August Msarurgwa on record labels) in the tsaba-tsaba big band style that succeeded marabi. Skokiaan (Chikokiyana in Shona) [1] refers to an illegal self-made alcoholic beverage typically brewed over one day that may contain a dangerous ingredient, such as methylated spirits.[2] [3] The tune has also been recorded as "Sikokiyana," "Skokiana," and "Skokian."

Within a year of its 1954 release in South Africa, at least 18 cover versions of "Skokiaan" appeared. The Zimbabwean version reached #17 in the United States, while a cover version by Ralph Marterie climbed to #3. All versions combined propelled the tune to #2 on the Cash Box charts that year. Its popularity extended outside of music, with several urban areas in the United States taking its name. Artists who produced their own interpretations include Louis Armstrong, Bill Haley, Herb Alpert and Hugh Masekela. The music itself illustrates the mutual influences between Africa and the wider world.