[Dixielandjazz] Skokiaan

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 4 13:18:35 PST 2008

Dear Guus, David and Craig,
I bought the Louis Armstrong Decca 78 disc when it was issued here in
Australia in 1954 - and wore it out.
Particularly side 2.
This was one of Louis Armstrong's greatest playing periods.
Proving that he wasn't the has-been his critics claimed him to be.
Because of Guus's query, I've dug it out (again) to marvel at Louis.
(And the wonderful Omer Simeon soprano sax contribution, Barrett Deems
on drums and Sy Oliver's arrangement.)
Playing it now.
Unfortunately, a currently available reissue version may be hard to
come by.
It is on Louis' 'All-Time Greatest Hits' on MCA 11032, which I note is
currently in stock at Venerable Music.
Kind regards,
Bill (with the hairs on the back of his neck standing up. Again).