[Dixielandjazz] Bates Sax Chain

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Dec 6 11:33:56 PST 2008

I do use a strap with my soprano.  The custom Yamaha is a little bit heavy
and my thumb gets sore after awhile.  My other soprano is much lighter in
weight and I didn't use one with it.

You are right about the Bates being hard to find.  At one time I had two.  I
loaned one to a student who that night moved out of the state and we never
saw the horn or the strap again. (some people will do anything for a Bates)

I was prepared to give the guy $50 for it.  He asked me what I would give
for it and I hesitated a bit and he said how about $10.  I think they sold
for $2 or less in the 50's.

They are no good for Bari although it wouldn't be hard to change out the
chain.  I think some didn't like them because they tend to get tangled up.
That is a bother until you figure out how to untangle the chain.  After that
it isn't much of a bother.  When I first got mine I didn't like it because
the strap sort of cut in to your neck and you would sweat under it but since
I always wear collars now that isn't an issue.  I don't think they would be
very comfortable for Bari without something under the strap to pad it.

I like the hook too.  You squeeze it just so it will go on the ring easy but
won't fall off.  I have had other straps slip free from the hook.  I have
only dropped a horn twice in my life and the neck strap coming free from the
horn was the reason for one of the accidents.  The horn slipped off my lap
as I reached to change a chart.  Today the hooks are either plastic or have
a plastic coating on them.  Neither of them I trust or like.

I like that there is no give in the strap and they don't slip.  I played
tenor in a parade to honor the Tuskegee Airmen once and used a new style
strap with a lot of padding and some stretch.  It almost knocked my teeth
out with every step.

 When you stand up to take a solo the strap needs to be slightly adjusted or
at least for me anyway.  It's not that I can't use the same adjustment but I
like to change it just a little and you don't have a lot of time to do it.
It's that speed of adjustment that I like a lot.

I'm playing tonight with a band leader that allows almost no time between
tunes.  By the time I get the tune opened up on the stand and change horns
he's already counting off or sometimes we are already in the first several
bars.  I just can't change charts, bend over, change horns, stand up and hit
it without a pretty fast strap that won't get hung up on the ring or that I
have to fool with.  He calls up about 20 charts on break or before the gig
starts and just doesn't leave any time to do all the stuff I need to do
without the Bates.

Some years ago I played a gig where one of the attendance prizes was a full
length fur coat.  Some old guy won it and walked over to a young gal and
dropped it in her lap.  She went screaming out of the place with her new
coat.  That's what I felt like after the gig and the guy gave me the strap.
Larry
StL