[Dixielandjazz] Bates Sax Chain

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 5 15:41:35 PST 2008

I don't know if anyone has ever used a Bates Sax chain neck strap but at one time I owned two.  The one I currently have has been with me for over 50 years.  It broke about three weeks ago after more than 50 years of use.   I went to the local hardware store where I bought three feet of beaded chain and had it back like new in about 15 minutes.

Why the Bates?  It's the fastest adjusting sax neck strap in existence which is worth it's weight in gold if you are a doubling musician.  It also locks in place and is capable of micro adjustment even while you are playing.  If you do shows where switching from one sax to another then you come to appreciate a quick adjusting strap.

Yesterday I played a gig with a band that I don't play with very often.  The lead alto player and leader of the band had one.  I told him that I would simply have to kill him or put out a hit on him to get his neck strap.  He offered to sell it to me for $10.  I instantly whipped out a ten and now I own a second Bates.  So he saved his life and I can give up my life of potential crime and quit stalking other sax players.

The patents ran out years ago and I can't believe that anyone hasn't started making them again but then maybe nobody doubles much anymore.
Larry
St. Louis