[Dixielandjazz] Riverside Album Armand Hug & Johnny Wiggs

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 16:50:56 PST 2008

Yes, I am familiar with Armand Hug...pardon the cheap pun. I discovered  that
Johnny Wiggs, was a "name de trompette" His birth name was actually John
Wigginton Hyman.

I won't attempt to make fun of his name, (or make reference to his famous
piano playing cousin Dick Hyman) lest I get punalized for straying  from the
purpose of the DJML.

Regards,
Art

PS Armand Hugg is very listenable. I first heard him on the New Orleans  Jazz
Club broadcasts. I don't think that these broadcasts are available any  more.
They were on the archives of the New Orleans Jazz Club.
_http://www.nojazzclub.com/links.htm_ (http://www.nojazzclub.com/links.htm)

In a message dated 12/1/2008 4:17:50 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bhaesler at bigpond.net.au writes:

artwoo at aol.com replied:
> The cd I was referring to is a recent  Riverside 3 cd compliation.
> Johnny Wiggs and Armand Hug  (was that his real name? Did he have a
> brother named "Handand  Shake?) sounds correct. Thanks for your great
> detective work!  Regards, art

Thanks Art,
I tried searching again for new  Riverside CDS but still could not
locate any, so gave up.
Liked  your take on Armand Hug's name.
Wot about Tapand Toes?
8>)
In case  you are unfamiliar with pianist Armand Hug here is a biog.
If you do know  who he was, I apologise.
Kind regards,
Bill.

"A superior New  Orleans-style pianist, Armand Hug tended to be
underrated throughout  his life, but his many recordings are still
quite enjoyable. Hug  spent much of his life in his native New Orleans,
where he began  playing in public in 1923. He joined Harry Shields'
band in 1926,  worked a bit with the New Orleans Owls in 1928, and made
his  recording debut with Sharkey Bonano in 1936. Hug primarily
performed  as a solo pianist, having long residencies at various clubs
and also  hosting his own series on local television. Armand Hug
recorded as a  leader for New Orleans Bandwagon, Capitol, Good Time
Jazz, Circle,  Paramount, Southland, and Golden Crest, along with three
fine albums  in the 1970s for Swaggie.
Scott Yanow, All Music Guide"

PS.
The  Swaggie sessions are now available on Swaggie  CDs.
Bill.