[Dixielandjazz] Stereotyping

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 30 14:28:57 PDT 2008

Hello Marek:

In the USA, most of the bands playing Dixieland are part timers, who
are in large measure trying to reprise what the white bands of the 20s
and 30s played, or trying to emulate King Oliver, etc., etc., etc.
Their main audiences are white people at OKOM festivals, or cruises.
(I know it is a generalization but IMO pretty accurate)

My band, and many other "working" Dixieland bands, are not limited by
those boundaries. Since we play numerous gigs, mostly Dixieland, but
some general music gigs also, we circulate among the mass audience and
other "working" musicians. And most gigs are in our own area, rather
than travel based.

"Working musicians" would be defined as those who make their living
performing music. And, there is a huge pool of black musicians among
"working musicians". Some folks who have not heard us play, might even
call us "commercial" Dixieland.

What do working musicians play? Any kind of music that pays a decent
taste. Bands like mine do indeed pay well and easily compete
successfully for the best players available. (That's why I am so
against playing gigs on the cheap, or free)

Do lots of black jazz musicians play Dixieland? Of course. You and
others on the list are not aware of this basically because you don't
go to the venues where bands like mine perform. General audience
venues/concerts that pay decent money. Our local audience is therefore
much larger and much more of a rainbow than that of the many bands
that play only the OKOM circuits

My current Dixieland musician list is 44 players, of which 9 are
black. Thats just about the current ratio of blacks to whites in the
USA.

Many black players went to OKOM in the 1960s when the big bands in the
USA folded and Dixieland experienced a revival.  Reason? To Make a
living. Same thing happens now in a lot more places than you might
think.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband