[Dixielandjazz] Stereotyping

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 13:34:23 PDT 2008

Not very convincing.  There are indeed excellent OKOM musicians of all
colours and races, but the percentage of blacks among them is smaller
than in the entire population, or in other types of music.  Still,
there are plenty.
I remember a time in Amsterdam when my wife and I entered a cafe
(before the days they started selling grass), and there was that young
kid from Philadelphia (cannot recall his name, but he was in his late
teens) playing and singing boogie woogie.  I was surprised, and told
him so.  He just laughed.  And when asked why he had chosen that kind
of music, he gave the best reply possible: "Because I love it, man!"
Cheers