[Dixielandjazz] Black members of Jazz Ltd in my time as trumpet chir

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 14:25:22 PDT 2008

Hello Don,
All the musicians you've mentioned were veterans of at least the big
band era;  when people speak of the dearth of blacks in OKOM, they
mean NEW musicians, not just now, but commencing with the jazz revival
(1939 on).  Of course, New Orleans was an exception, and has over the
years produced such musicians as Freddy Lonzo, Mochael White and the
great Wendell Brunious.  Another well know one is Evan Christopher,
albeit an Orleanian by choice, not birth.  And when Michael White
played in Eilat, Israel, he had several young black musicians in his
band.
Cheers