[Dixielandjazz] Here's an idea....

Russ Guarino russguarino at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 08:31:51 PDT 2008

Here's an idea that might be useful....

I have always had a problem getting new music ready for my duo because I
would get music in C concert and would have to prepare a second part for
me, a Bb clarinet player.

And that was a pain.  I resisted preparing a transposed copy even though
I know how to use finale.

Then, wonder of wonders, I discovered that the electronic keyboards all
have the ability, built in, to transpose their keyboard tones up and
down as many as eight steps.  This means that my keyboard guys can
re-tune their keys down two 1/2 steps and sound the same tone as me.

They play "C" and I play "C" and we sound the same.

Now, I have learned, I can use any C concert lead sheet music right from
the get-go, as soon as I get the music.

I have also discovered that C music uses primarily flat keys so I must
be prepared to play in the key of Bb or Ab or so.  On the clarinet,
depending on the tune, this can lead to tricky fingering, but
fortunately, I've had enough experience with strange keys having played
in pit bands, that I can slip right into it.

Hope this might help.  I went a long time not realizing the flexibility
of the electronic key board to accommodate us Bb players.

Russ Guarino

PS  Also, singers who need a different key for a particular song can use
the transpose method to accommodate themselves.