[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleveland

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 29 20:46:15 PDT 2008

> Okay you are not an idiot but for someone who has "listened" to
> "jazz" over
> 50 years I think you need to find out just what exactly jazz is.

Now, now James.
Not even a smiley?
Until Jimmy Cleveland's name came up as a DJML thread the other day, I
had never heard of him.
And I've been listening to jazz from 1944-45 and very actively
involved as a discographer/collector with it, without interruption,
since 1948.
As the discussion progressed, I decided to check out the list of all
Mr Cleveland's recordings starting from his first in 1950 with Lionel
Hampton. There are about 500 sessions!
I then checked to see how many I had in my very extensive jazz record
collection.
The 1959 Billie Verves.
So it looks as though, along with our mate Marek, I too don't know
"exactly what jazz is".
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.