[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleveland

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 13:50:13 PDT 2008

Unlike many members of this list, I did not start with Lu Watters.
Actually, I first heard music with swing played by a Polish dance
band, a bit on the Glenn Miller side, in the early 1950's, when it
bcamoe "kosher" in the communist world.  And any rhythmic American
music was considered "jazz," be it R'n'R, Latin Americam music, etc.
Having come to Israel I wasted countless hours on listening to such
"jazz" musicians as Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck (who, by the way, was
very popular in Poland), J&K, MJQ, etc., courtesy of USIS library.  It
had taken me a while to sparate the wheat from the chaff, and now you
want me to go back?  No way - I'm not going to waste my time again
(not as much of it left as when I was 17).
And I would not listen to Bill Watrous either - have heard too much of
him as is.  If I want technique, I'll go to a mechanical workshop, not
a club or a theatre.
When Roswell Rudd played with a trad band, he had been told 'None of
that bebop here' (taken from the horse's mouth).
Cheers