[Dixielandjazz] Louis Prima & Joe Venuti

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 23 15:59:48 PDT 2008

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> .......I was later surprised to learn he had been a jazz
> player; my first hint was on a Venuti record, where the best and
> jazziest solos were by Prima....

Dear Marek,
I assume the you are referring to the Associated Transcription session
with:
Louis Prima (t,vcl) Jerry Colonna (tb) 2 unknown cl/as, Larry Binyon
(ts) Joe Venuti (vln,vcl) Red Norvo (xyl) Fulton McGrath (p) Frank
Victor (g) unknown (sb) Neil Marshall (d). Recorded in New York,
December 28, 1934.
I have the London HMG5023 LP and, prompted by you, I'm playing it
again now (after a long time). It is also on IAJRC 1003 [a CD].
Or is there, heaven forbid, another Prima/Venuti record I don't know
about?
Very kind regards,
Bill.