[Dixielandjazz] Arthur Godfrey experience

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 23 17:33:59 PDT 2008

Here's something that happened to me with Arthur Godfrey:
Remember the "Talent Scouts Show"?
For a period of time I played piano for the auditions.
I felt for the people auditioning. Most had never been
in a "dead" studio before. You cannot hear yourself at all.

Arthur's producer, a redhead also, I seem to remember
her name as Jeanette Davis, was really rough on the
people coming in to try out.

As a result of some exposure at CBS and with the Godfrey
show I did a few tours with Carmel Quinn as musical
director, pianist... She is (was) one of the nicest people ever
and really a knockout on stage. Her presence in person,
comparable to Sinatra. I was always in awe of her ability
to capture and hold an audience.

At one point in Godfrey's career he was supposed to be
appointed to a cabinet post such as Secretary of the
Air Force or something like that.

Arthur Godfrey was also a  major influence
promoting air defense and Miami Beach
development (as a resort).

A short story: Godfrey used a tune written by Guy Lombardo's
brother "Carmen". That meant royalty checks every day for every
station running the show.
Godfrey heard that Carmen said something nasty about him.
End of that theme song! (Tomorrow?)

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com