[Dixielandjazz] Reality Is Just An Illusion

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 03:37:00 PDT 2008

Ken Mathieson wrote:

Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 00:00:38 +0100
From: "Ken Mathieson" <ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Reality is an Illusion...

Hi All,

The Albert Einstein quotation "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" reminds me of an incident when I was touring many years ago with the marvellous Scottish jazz singer, Carol Kidd. We'd had a great concert in Aberdeen, so a party broke out in the hotel afterwards. Fast forward a few hours and I came to feeling pretty seedy, so I got up went out for a walk in the fresh air. It was about 5:30 on a summer''s morning, when I came across a poster in a "Wayside Pulpit" display cabinet outside a church. In my hazy condition I found myself reading the profound statement that "Reality is an illusion brought on by the lack of alcohol." Given that moderation in all things is supposedly a virtue, I immediately resolved to keep reality moderately rationed.

Incidentally, after too many years of absence from the studio, Carol has a new CD in preparation. I heard an preview track of "Happiness is Just A Thing Called Joe" on BBC Radio recently and it reinforces my opinion that her ballad singing is just about as good as it gets.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk

Listmates,

Ken's post reminded me of a movie I saw on Turner Classic Movies recently called "Cabin In The Sky." The song "Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe"
was sung by the great Ethel Waters in the pic.

"Joe" or "Little Joe" in the movie  was played by Eddie "Rochester" Anderson. A really memorable movie I's say. I hadn't seen it before though it is quite "old." Lena Horne also has a role and sings--- song escapes me now. If you haven't seen it, you might look it up in a video store sometime. :)

Marty Nichols

http://www.esnips.com/web/jazztrombone