[Dixielandjazz] Arthur Godfrey experience

John Wilder JohnWilder at Comcast.net
Sat Aug 23 02:09:52 PDT 2008

Here's something that happened to me with Arthur Godfrey:

When I was about 11 or 12 years old, I got a telephone call from Fred Finke
of the Mickey Finn Show in San Diego.  Although I knew who Fred was from the
television show, I had never met him.  Fred asked if I wanted to be on a
television show that was shooting in Hollywood.  Of course I said yes right
away.  He said, "Well, I'll send you a telegram to confirm and where to show
up for the shoot."  He said to keep track of my expenses and they would pay
me back.

Well, I got the telegram (still to this day, the only telegram I've ever
gotten) that said where to go, and that I should know the song, "I Want To
Be Happy" in the key of F.  I bought a plane ticket to LAX (just try that as
a 12 year old today!) and got a bus to Hollywood  (already knew the song,
heh heh!).  I found the motel they had recommended, and the next morning I
caught a cab to the studio where I was to meet them.  I walked around in the
studio, but I couldn't find any of the Mickey Finn band members.  Finally, I
found someone who seemed to be in charge and explained that I was there to
play banjo on the show.  He said, "Ok, go over there and get on the bus.
We're shooting on location at a park."

I climbed aboard the bus and got to the park.  Several other young banjo
players onboard, but still no Mickey Finn musicians to be found.  A guy came
aboard the bus with a wad of $20 bills so big that he had to hold them with
both hands!  He went seat to seat on the bus, asking, "How much did it cost
you to get here?"  Whatever you told him, he'd give you that much plus
another $20 or two.

As soon as I met the director I asked where the Mickey Finn band was.  He
said, "Oh, I think they're playing somewhere in Ohio or something."
Really????  Did they already film their part of the show?  His answer?
"They're not playing on this show."

"Well, who is on the show then?", I asked.  He said, "We're doing an Arthur
Godfrey television special, and Ken Berry and Barbara Feldon are the guest
stars."  I had "assumed" it would be a Mickey Finn special because Fred
never said otherwise!  It turned out to be one of Arthur Godfrey's last
television appearances before he died, and he was not feeling well at the
shoot.  When he wasn't needed on camera, he just went into his RV dressing
room and sat there.

I was just a young kid, and didn't know much about him, other than he was a
star.  I'd never met a television star before, and no one told me to stay
away, so I went over an knocked on his door.  Mr. Godfrey came to the door
and I said, "I just wanted to meet you in person."  He invited me in and
gave me a Coke, and we talked for a couple of minutes.  (Mostly I talked -
he coughed!)  Then he said he didn't feel well, and I left.  He was very
nice to me, but I've heard since then that he could be a real tyrant on the
set, and treated most everyone who worked with him poorly.  (Perhaps he was
too sick to shoo me away.)

The show was called something like, "Arthur Godfrey's Magical Medicine
Show".  I was in a scene where he was driving his horse-drawn medicine wagon
and talking with these two kids who were amazed at the magic he could do.
They asked him to play his banjo.  When he started playing, several of us
magically appeared on the wagon playing with him.  Then more banjo players
appeared beside the wagon.  Then more.  By the end of the song, there were
about 25 of us playing banjo with him.

After my scene, I watched Ken Berry do a dance number.  He was singing about
picking up garbage - kind of soft shoe number, and he was dressed as a pile
of junk.  I never got to meet him or Barbara Feldon.

Anyway I had a great time and got to meet a celebrity, but to this day, I
still haven't ever met Fred Finke!

Hope you all enjoyed the little story!

John Wilder

JohnWilder at Comcast.net

P.S. - Any of you remember seeing the special?  It would have been in the
late 60's.