[Dixielandjazz] "?s" in my posts

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Mon Aug 18 06:53:20 PDT 2008

Bob Smith wrote on 18/08/2008 13:28:10:

> Dear Marty,
>
> As far as I can tell your "?" have the decimal code 63 (hex 3F, bin
111111).
> If you are using an IBM type PC, then this is the normal code for a
question
> mark.

The trouble is that by the time we get to see the message the original
character has been converted.

What I'm guessing is happening is Marty is using a "special" character
that the DJML message system doesn't recognise. So it replaces it
with a question mark.

The most common "special" characters are the fancy single quote
characters, but there are others. If you need to press a key
other than the shift to get the character, then it probably wont work.

The trouble is, some text editors try to be clever and put these
characters
in for you. So if whatever you are using to write your emails has
a "plain text" option, it might be worth turning it on.

Hope that helps

Andy Ling

--

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.