[Dixielandjazz] Marching trombone et al

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Aug 17 11:38:14 PDT 2008

Don,
Thanks for that Dudley Fosdick reference - I had forgotten him, but I
did mention Dick Carey (I have an LP by him.) From the Redhotjazz files:
> It is interesting to note that the song Crazy Rhythm features the
> unusual instrument the mellophone. Dudley Fosdick was the
> mellophonist, and it was a sort of alto horn, pitched in Eb. The
> Molers 1928 recording of Crazy Rhythm is always a "fooler" for
> noticers who try to figure out if it's a valve trombone or
> something - the mellophone sounds kind of like a low cornet with
> bad head cold. Fosdick spent much of his post Red Nichols career
> with Guy Lombardo, and until the end of Lombardo Band under Guy's
> leadership, the second trumpet book required mellophone "double". -
> Mark Heter

and check out:

http://www.answers.com/topic/dudley-fosdick  which really shows how
unusual play a non trumpet/cornet/flugle or trombone brass melody
instrument is and was!  (I know some of us can play melody tuba ;-)

Since I also play in several large wind band I am  familiar with
mells, altos, baritones and euphoniums (euphoni?) and I know what
they are capable of (in good hands!) It is strange to me that there
have not been a large number of these horns in OKOM - the
availability of good players and relatively inexpensive instruments
should have made them a staple of this music. Circus, military and
school bands use them all the time...

Dave Richoux