[Dixielandjazz] Marching trombone et al

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun Aug 17 11:12:22 PDT 2008

David Richoux wrote:
> Steven, I didn't see the message you are replying too?
>
> I have always been surprised by the lack of Baritones, Euphoniums and
> even French and Alto Horns in OKOM. I know Cell Block 7 uses three
> Double-Bell Euphoniums for some of their numbers, Dick Carey was noted
> for his use of the Alto Horn and Gus Mancuso did some (mostly not OKOM
> jazz) recordings with Baritone Horn. but there is not much else! (if
> anybody else regulary uses these horns in OKOM please let us all know...)
>
> In my opinion, the Euphonium (and alsothe Baritone) has a very good
> "voice" for OKOM - sure, the "traditional gliss" is not available, but
> why not have both Horn and Bone? If you listen to expert Euphonium
> players (check British Brass Bands and US Military Band soloists ) you
> will be amazed at what can be done on these instruments! Even the Alto
> Horn, in skilled hands, can be very musical ;-)
>
> I don't think using a tuba mouthpiece is an option for most Baritones
> (marching or otherwise) since the shanks are not matched. I also think
> you would be likely to overblow the instrument even if you had some
> sort of adaptor made.
>
> A good place for low brass in the Southern USA is the Tuba Exchange
> (in North Carolina.) I have purchased several horns from that shop.
>
> Dave Richoux
>
> On Aug 16, 2008, at 10:18 PM, Steven Owen wrote:
>
>> I haven't heard of a Marching Trombone, thats a new one on me, I play
>> Baritone, right now I'm playing Marching Baritone (which believe me
>> be glad you don't /have/ to play it because Marching Band practice
>> certainly requires some Icy-Hot he he) but I'm not sure if you have
>> tried using a larger mouthpiece such as a Tuba Mouthpiece or a
>> Euphonium Mouthpiece, one day at practice I got curious and used a
>> Euphonium mouthpiece and it seem to make it easier to play lower, but
>> I have gotten where I can play down to to a somewhat low range of a
>> Tuba with the Marching Baritone, but it took some time so, of course
>> it was partly because I have to play that low. Just a suggestion. :D
>>
>> Steven Owen
>> Villa Rica Marching Wildcats
>> www.VillaRicaBand.Org
>>
>> PS. Anyone know a good website, has one, or knows somebody that is
>> selling a good Marching Baritone let me know. because I'm looking for
>> a nice one to march with, preferably Nickel plate but, a gold finish
>> is OK. The one I'm playing is ding and aged so I'm looking to get a
>> nice one I can own.

Re: Marching trombones
Many bands used valve trombones for marching since the slide didn't go
out to a 7th position, a problem in tihgt formation. Use of the v.bone
was common in European military bands and to somewhat popular use here.
As to use of some of the mentioned brass horns in OKO, I suggest two
names right off: Dudley Fosdick and Dick Carey. Our Ozian friend Bill
Haelser can do doubt supply a master list of their recoded examples.
 I rest my case!
Don Ingle
Don Ingle