[Dixielandjazz] Baritone as Trombone?

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Aug 17 10:34:08 PDT 2008

Steven, I didn't see the message you are replying too?

I have always been surprised by the lack of Baritones, Euphoniums and
even French and Alto Horns in OKOM. I know Cell Block 7 uses three
Double-Bell Euphoniums for some of their numbers, Dick Carey was
noted for his use of the Alto Horn and Gus Mancuso did some (mostly
not OKOM jazz) recordings with Baritone Horn. but there is not much
else! (if anybody else regulary uses these horns in OKOM please let
us all know...)

In my opinion, the Euphonium (and alsothe Baritone) has a very good
"voice" for OKOM - sure, the "traditional gliss" is not available,
but why not have both Horn and Bone? If you listen to expert
Euphonium players (check British Brass Bands and US Military Band
soloists ) you will be amazed at what can be done on these
instruments! Even the Alto Horn, in skilled hands, can be very
musical ;-)

I don't think using a tuba mouthpiece is an option for most Baritones
(marching or otherwise) since the shanks are not matched. I also
think you would be likely to overblow the instrument even if you had
some sort of adaptor made.

A good place for low brass in the Southern USA is the Tuba Exchange
(in North Carolina.) I have purchased several horns from that shop.

Dave Richoux