[Dixielandjazz] "Dixieland" Lives

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 6 08:07:34 PDT 2008

Think OKOM is not for the mass audience? Then why is Randy Newman
joining some of the other big timers who are flirting with Dixieland?
What do they know about the genre, that we do not? BTW, see the
reference to "Easy Street". It makes a great, funky Dixieland tune.
And when sung, becomes very relevant these days. Following are clips
from 5 different reviews of Randy Newman's newest CD: "Harps & Angels"

1) USA TODAY:  "Those shifts didn't panic Newman, who kept his wits
and wit while shaping Harp's bluesy vocals, lush orchestrations and
throwbacks to DIXIELAND".....

2) KANSAS CITY STAR: "Even before you listen to the words on 'Harps
and Angel's', the first thing you will notice is the undeniable
DIXIELAND sound of Newman's New Orleans . . .

3) ROLLING STONE- Newman works with piano, an orchestra and a
DIXIELAND-style combo, using American musical tradition to amplify
irony and yank heartstrings . . .

4) HARTFORD COURANT - "Folksy yet cerebral, he's deadpan as he snipes
at the moneyed elite on the clarinet-lined DIXIELAND lilt of 'Easy
Street' and uncorks a cautionary tale . . .

5) NY TIMES - " The songs dip into DIXIELAND, country and . . . a
flash of Orientalism . . .

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

"I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is
being paid for it, and one is the feeling that I haven't just been
sitting on my ass all afternoon." -  William F. Buckley