[Dixielandjazz] IAJE demise-- NYTimes 4-20-08

KEYOFC1 at aol.com KEYOFC1 at aol.com
Sat Apr 26 12:37:53 PDT 2008

In a message dated 4/26/08 12:03:52 PM, nvickers1 at cox.net writes:

<<

Not all the conventions have been well attended. Despite a poor turnout in

Toronto in 2003, the group’s annual event returned there in January, and

attendance was down by 40 percent from the previous year, according to last

week’s e-mail message. Not long after that, Bill McFarlin, the

organization’s executive director for 24 years, left for another job.  >>

Hi Norman,

I happened to have had the displeasure of hanging out with Mr. McFarlin at
one of my appearances at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Holland about ten years
ago, and found him to be one of the least enlightened and most pompous people
I've ever met. To say that he was utterly out-of-touch with the world of jazz
would be an understatement.

And look at the "poor turnout" sentence in the quote above---as they say
nowadays, like DUH!! Insisting on regularly scheduling a huge convention in Canada
and similarly off-turning frigid locations in January is one of the dumbest
things I've ever heard. Doomed to failure is putting it mildly.

I'm sure that Mr. McFarlin is crying all the way to the bank.

I am not alone in these sentiments.

Judy Roberts <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Need a new ride? Check out the
largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos.<BR>
(http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)</HTML>