[Dixielandjazz] British Ban of US Musicians

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 26 12:52:36 PDT 2008

>  "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote:
>

> I also saw this remark in Humph's obit.  I am curious as to what
> brought
> about this ban?  Especially after the Glen Miller band being
> stationed in
> the UK during WWII and being so popular?  Another stupid move on the
> part of
> the musician's union?

Dear Bob:

This is what Wikipedia says, from an article about Gerald Walcan
Wright 1904 to 1974, who was a UK band leader known as Geraldo. He
also placed musicians on transatlantic cruise liners and the business
was known as "Geraldo's Navy":

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

 From the mid-1930s for a period of some twenty years, American
musicians were banned from performing in the UK by the British
Musicians Union. The ban was in retaliation for a similar restriction
in the USA which prevented British musicians from working in the
States. It was especially frustrating for post-war British jazzmen who
wanted to see and hear their American idols. However, one way for them
to cross the Atlantic was to join the dance bands of Cunard liners
such as the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Mauritania and the QE2, or
Canadian Pacific vessels like the Empress of England and the Empress
of Canada. The Cunarders were especially popular because when they had
docked in New York, the musicians would have one or two nights free to
visit jazz venues like Birdland on Broadway, just north of West 52nd
Street in Manhattan, or clubs in Greenwich Village. Some even arranged
to take lessons with American stars during their shore leave: for
example, Bruce Turner took saxophone lessons with Lee Konitz.