[Dixielandjazz] Musicians Get What They Deserve.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 27 11:48:37 PDT 2008

Sadly this is the pattern.  The old "you'll get exposure" line seems to work
on each succeeding generation.  People want to believe in things and often
have a greater opinion of themselves than others have.  It looks so easy to
hit the big time if only...................  Young musicians are all out
there trying to grab the gold ring.

I think I was fortunate in some ways because I never had that illusion and
always had an idea of my place in the grand scheme of things.  I simply had
to make money and couldn't fool with the nonsense.  Many young (and a lot of
older) musicians just don't understand how they can be used by people who
use the same line or some variation of it to trick them into providing
services for free.

It's all a grand illusion.  The general public doesn't understand that the
kids are being used and generally think they are being paid and maybe even
being paid a lot.  When I tell people I don't do these things because there
isn't any money in them I more often than not get a deer in the headlights
look like they can't comprehend it after all who would spend all that money
and work for free?

I think a lot of the promoters of the fairs and other venues actually think
they are doing the bands a favor but they are really stealing services
through deception and the kids are just too naive to know that they've been
had.

Some years ago when $50 was really $50 a church lined up four bands for a
battle of the bands.  My wife's brother who was about 18 at the time was in
one of the bands.  Each band put up a $50 entry fee and the band that got
the most votes got a $200 prize.  Note $50 of it was their entry fee.  Now
lets see if I have this right.  The bands put up the money and the church
gets free music.  They charged the kids a couple bucks admission and
absolutely packed the place.  All four of those bands and probably all of
the musicians have never been heard of since.  I have always been upset that
a church would do that.

Unfortunately my Nephew is knee deep in this "scene" right now and desperate
to play anywhere he can.  The worst thing about this is that young people
get into it and put off education or other useful pursuits (like real jobs)
because they think they are going to make it big.  99.9% of the time they
end up getting kicked in the teeth and grow up a little.
Larry
STL