[Dixielandjazz] Musicians Get What They Deserve.

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 27 09:39:16 PDT 2008

couldn't believe how many bands offered their services....FOR FREE! I  >>

Hi Steve,
I have a young relative who runs a band. They don`t play what I call music,
but they are apparently well thought of, have a small following seem to get
a fair number of gigs. Nowhere near giving up the day job yet.

I asked how much they get paid. THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A PAYING GIG  When I
asked what the hell they did it for, having never had a non paying gig in my
life, I was told `Its the Ezposure`.  It seems that they play as second , or
support band for some group who had `made it`. All in the hope that they
will collect a few more fans themselves or that someone will pick them up
and promote them.

I told them they were nuts, but that seems to be the accepted scene now. I
had a few gigs when we were paid in beer, which was about what we were worth
but I have never played for nothing.

Cheers

Pat