[Dixielandjazz] American Musicians Banned In UK?

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 26 13:20:05 PDT 2008

Bob Ringwald wrote:

John Petters wrote regarding Humphrey Littleton:

(snip)
He illegally recorded with Bechet (a stupid ban by the
Musician's Union made it illegal for American musicians to perform in
the UK )
(snip)

I also saw this remark in Humph's obit.  I am curious as to what brought
about this ban?  Especially after the Glen Miller band being stationed in
the UK during WWII and being so popular?  Another stupid move on the part of
the musician's union?
===========

Bob,
the British Musicians' Union ban on US musicians performing in the UK, which
ran from 1936 to 1956, was, in part at least, to protect the jobs of UK
musicians.  At least, that was the MU's take on it. Perhaps it only applied
to musicians in the popular music scene. I believe Benny Goodman did play
here during the ban but only as a classical musician, not as a jazzer.

Glenn Miller and his AAF/AEF Orchestra was a product of the war effort and
therefore allowed. I may be wrong on this, but I think most (all ?) of their
concerts here were at US bases and not for the British public at large. Ask
Zeke, he'll know <g>. I believe this also applied to Sam Donohoe's Navy Band
which played here around the same time as Miller's Mob.
~~
John D