[Dixielandjazz] Why Bands should have Myspace pages.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 25 06:08:17 PDT 2008

For years I've been preaching that bands should take some
responsibility for the lack of OKOM gigs and that we should play where
the kids are etc. I'm not going do go through that here again, but
will offer a way for DJML bands to get gigs.

One way to get gigs, or leads is through myspace and/or facebook.
Larry Peacock's recent posts on the DJML confirm that. First he asked
Dixieland Bands to contact him in Portland OR, as he wants to book
OKOM bands for swing dancing. Then he asked for information about OKOM
Festivals.

Who is Larry Peacock? Well, at 30, he is a part of that young audience
for Dixieland, that some of us old folks say doesn't exist. He is a
mover and shaker in the West Coast swing dance genre. Why is he
asking? Because precious few OKOM bands are contacting him on their own.

I first met Larry on Myspace. We are cyber friends. He heard our music
on our page. He offered to book Barbone Street in Portland if we were
ever touring out west. He knows more about me, who is not actively
seeking left coast gigs than he does about most of the Left Coast
bands that are seeking gigs.

The swing dancing scene is a good place to get gigs. In my own
experience in talking with swing dancers and bands like The
Boilermakers who actively play that circuit, there is strong swing
dance activity in: LA, Frisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver Canada,
Phoenix, Austin, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New York City, Philadelphia,
Washington DC/Baltimore. No doubt in many other places also.

How do you connect? When I joined myspace, I connected with friends
and other bands that have friends who have friends, etc. Suddenly you
see folks like Larry Peacock  http://www.myspace.com/westsideswing.

And then you'll start to make friends with fans who'll list you as
their favorite band along with Asylum Street Spankers, Nine Inch Nails
Social Distortion, The Beatles, David Bowie and others <grin>  (See
Catherine on my page)

Point being is that there is a huge unfilled need for good OKOM bands
to play for swing dance functions. And that these swing dancers will
attend OKOM festivals, or other events. All we need do is meet the
kids halfway.

First step should be for bands to join myspace and facebook. It is
FREE and a great way to network among the kids, getting gigs. Larry
Peacock's post should be a lesson to us all. MARKET YOUR BAND.

He shouldn't have to come to us, we should be going to him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband