[Dixielandjazz] Why Bands should have Myspace pages.

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 08:18:21 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Couldn't agree more about MySpace.  Another nice thing about it is that it has search features.  My band got one of the best gigs we've ever had through a MySpace cold inquiry.  A corporation was looking for a band to do a Mardi Gras-themed luncheon for their employees.  They used MySpace to do a keyword search for a mardi gras band in Michigan and found our site.

Keep in mind too that a lot of people in HR departments who are responsible for such tasks are usually entry level or just above (in their 20s and early 30s), so when they needed a band, the first thing they thought of was MySpace (rather than more traditional avenues such as booking agencies). Our HR contact told me that they play on MySpace all day!

I've also found that it's a quick way to let someone know about your group (and have them hear sound clips and see pictures etc.).

Cheers,
Rob McCallum
myspace.com/solarjazz