[Dixielandjazz] Loud Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 12:03:58 PDT 2008

Dear Norm and listmates

There is a good reason for loud music, over 90 decibles. The below
article is but one of many that describe why. Basically young
audiences respond to loud music.

Loudest Dixieland band I ever heard was when George Brunies played
with Wild Bill Davison at Condon's before Brunies left NYC. (late 40s?)

He and WBD had a sort of competition between them to see who could
play louder, all the time.

As a young man, (kid really) I absolutely loved it. Today my band is
LOUD. Why? Young audiences. <grin>

Search the web for more Sacculus information if interested.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Blast from the past
We've got our fish ancestors to thank for our love of music
EVER wondered why listening to loud music or singing at the top of
your voice is such fun? Scientists at the University of Manchester say
a pleasure-inducing hearing mechanism we've inherited from our fishy
ancestors could be to blame.

A team led by psychologist Neil Todd, an expert in music perception,
has discovered that the sacculus, an organ forming part of the balance-
regulating vestibular system in our inner ear, is tuned in to respond
to sound frequencies that predominate in music--despite the fact that
the sacculus is not thought to have any hearing function. Even more
curious, says Todd, our saccular frequency sensitivity appears to
mimic that of fish--the only type of creature known to use its
sacculus for hearing. "This primitive hearing mechanism from our
vertebrate ancestors appears to have been conserved as a vestigial
sense in humans," says Todd.

Because the vestibular system has a connection to the hypothalamus,
the part of the brain responsible for drives like hunger, sex and
hedonistic responses, Todd believes that people might be getting a
pleasurable buzz when they listen to music--which could explain why
music has developed into such a cultural force. This buzz may mimic
the thrills people get from swings and bungee jumping, where motion
stimulates the balance centre.

But there is a proviso: the sacculus only appears to be sensitive to
loud volumes--above 90 decibels. Despite this, crooners could also
love their own singing because sound levels in the larynx have been
estimated to be as high as 130 decibels. "It's bloody loud in there,"
Todd says.

Because the sacculus is buried deep within the ear, Todd and his
colleagues Frederick Cody and Jon Banks could not measure its reaction
to sound directly. But in regulating balance--particularly head
posture--the sacculus evokes electrical signals in certain neck
muscles. So the team exploited this by asking students to tense their
neck muscles, and using surface electrodes, they measured the extra
signals produced when the sacculus responds to sound rather than
balance.

In tests, 11 students listened to tone pips of varying frequencies.
Their saccular sensitivity ranged from 50 hertz up to 1000 hertz, with
a peak between 300 and 350 hertz. On the musical scale, middle C is
261 hertz; male and female voices have frequency ranges up to 200 and
400 hertz respectively. The researchers will publish their results
this spring in a forthcoming edition of the journal Hearing Research.

"The distribution of frequencies that are typical in rock concerts and
at dance clubs almost seem designed to stimulate the sacculus. They
are absolutely smack bang in this range of sensitivity," Todd says.
Large groups of people singing or chanting together, such as a choir
or a crowd at a sporting event, could also trigger the mechanism, he
adds.

Paul Marks

 From New Scientist magazine, 19 February 2000.