[Dixielandjazz] Humphrey Lyttelton

Brian Harvey brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 11:08:49 PDT 2008

The BBC in London reports ....................

The BBC has cancelled the latest Radio 4 series of I'm Sorry I Haven't A
Clue as its presenter, Humphrey Lyttelton, 86, is undergoing heart surgery.
Lyttelton, who has hosted the "self-styled antidote to panel games" since
1972, is being operated on to repair an aortic aneurysm.
Producer Jon Naismith told fans: "We are unclear precisely how long Humph's
recovery period will be."
He added that "Humph" was "otherwise fine and in good spirits".
Lyttelton appears on the show with Graeme Garden, Barry Cryer and Tim
Brooke-Taylor.
In 1993 he received a Sony Gold Award for services to broadcasting.
Lyttelton, once described by Louis Armstrong as "that cat in England who
swings his ass off", is also a musician, cartoonist, calligrapher and
author. He began playing the trumpet in 1936 and still tours with his band
Bad Penny Blues. In 1956, they were the first British jazz act to enter the
top 20. Lyttelton also added trumpet to Radiohead's Life in a Glasshouse,
from the Kid A album, although he admitted he "couldn't make head or tail"
of the track when he first heard it. The former officer in the Grenadier
Guards recently retired from BBC Radio 2's The Best of Jazz, to "clear a
space for some of my other ambitions" after more than 40 years presenting
the show.

Checked by AVG.
16:23