[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Festivals on the cutting edge of Marketing?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 18 06:46:59 PDT 2008

Recently, many OKOM Jazz Festivals have been expanding their musical
offerings beyond just "trad" in order to continue as viable events and
gain new audience.  It seems to be working.
Now they can proudly point to the fact that they are in the vanguard,
as other musical events do the same thing in order to attract more
audience, especially the young.
Below article excerpted for brevity.
Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband
NY TIMES - April 18, 2008 - By Beth Schiesel
Bands of All Stripes, Keeping It Green

PETER SHAPIRO knows what people think when they hear the phrase “Earth
Day concert.” Maybe Jackson Browne. Maybe Bonnie Raitt.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. The predominantly white
singer-songwriters who came to fame in the 1970s were among the first
voices in popular culture to speak out on behalf of environmental
concerns.

But now Mr. Shapiro and the other organizers of this weekend’s
national Green Apple Festival, billed as the country’s biggest Earth
Day celebration, want to expand the audience. In trying to draw as
many as 500,000 people to its main events — free concerts on Sunday
afternoon in eight cities — the festival is reaching out to younger
people and to demographic groups that have not traditionally been
associated with the environmental movement.

That means the Roots & Friends and Toots & the Maytals performing on
the National Mall in Washington, along with Thievery Corporation and
Gov’t Mule. That means Menudo and Arrested Development in Bicentennial
Park in Miami, and Los Lonely Boys and Junior Brown at Fair Park in
Dallas. And improbably, perhaps, that means the bluegrass and country
star Ricky Skaggs and his band, Kentucky Thunder, at Rumsey Playfield
in Central Park.

“We made a conscious decision to cast a much wider net than most
people would expect, in terms of booking the artists and genres this
year,” Mr. Shapiro, the event’s executive producer and founder, said
in an interview recently. “We think it’s vital that the environmental
movement appeal to what the country looks like today, and that meant
bringing in R&B, reggae, country, hip-hop, world music.”

Or as Kathleen Rogers, president of Earth Day Network in Washington,
put it: “We would have taken someone like James Taylor, but our real
goal is to find groups that will bring out a younger and more diverse
audience.” . . . SNIP TO

“Pop culture has certainly propelled the environmental movement along,
and that’s even more true today because it’s trendy, because it’s in
fashion,” Mr. Hart, who is scheduled to perform on Sunday in Golden
Gate Park in San Francisco, said in a telephone interview last week.
“Trying to reach the widest demographics seems like the right thing to
do. I did it a few years ago in front of Grand Central on a flatbed
truck, and there beside me was Walter Cronkite on a drum. Talk about
demographics.”

“This kind of green awareness usually starts with young people, and
there was a time period where the younger generation for whatever
reason had their heads somewhere else, and now it feels like younger
people are getting more involved in this issue again.”

For Kevin Wommack, manager of Los Lonely Boys, the Green Apple shows
are an opportunity to raise environmental awareness among a Hispanic
audience that has not traditionally been at the core of the green
movement.

“With the huge Hispanic audience here, and with the boys being a
Mexican-American band, this is just a great opportunity to make an
impact with this group in terms of green consciousness,” he said. “All
it really takes is motivated people who want to connect the dots and
move this forward to a different, broader base.”