[Dixielandjazz] Quoted passages in songs - Infringement?

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 16 10:06:18 PDT 2008

I don't know the current law, but it used to be that the composer ("author")
of a tune had "first dibs" on recording it or selling the right to the first
recording. After that first recording, anyone could record it legally by
paying the royalty specified in the law to the copyright owner. If the
copyright owner could work a better deal than the statutory one with the
would-be recording star, that deal took precedence.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.