[Dixielandjazz] Quoted passages in songs - Infringement?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Apr 15 18:20:50 PDT 2008

Fair use doesn't mean free does it?  I thought that was the doctrine that
said you could use anyone's  copyrighted work without permission but you had
to pay them for it.  Meaning no one could have exclusive right to a song an
example might be a tune by let's say Dolly Parton.  She would not be able to
stop someone from singing her song providing they paid a fee to the
copyright holder.  Isn't that fee a set amount?

As I see it there is a difference between parody or satire and copying.  I
could see how that would work in the case of a rap tune which typically has
no music but only rhythm and words.  Words can make fun of or change the
meaning but notes only?

To me anyway a parody is different than a quote as done by most musicians.
See below.
Larry
STL

from Wikipedia
A parody (pronounced ['p???di?]), in contemporary usage, is a work created
to mock, comment on, or poke fun at an original work, its subject, or
author, by means of humorous or satirical imitation. As the literary
theorist Linda Hutcheon (2000: 7) puts it, "parody . is imitation with a
critical difference, not always at the expense of the parodied text."
Another critic, Simon Dentith (2000: 9), defines parody as "any cultural
practice which provides a relatively polemical allusive imitation of another
cultural production or practice."

Parody may be found in art or culture, including literature, music, and
cinema. Parodies are colloquially referred to as spoofs or lampoons.