[Dixielandjazz] Perfect Tune To Learn Trad Soloing

Kent Murdick kmurdick at jaguar1.usouthal.edu
Wed Apr 9 11:41:49 PDT 2008

I'd never thought of it before but the 3rd section (the one you probably
know) of  "The Original Dixieland One-
Step"  may be the perfect vehicle for learning trad soloing.   It's got
the two main elements of the style: the circle of 5ths in dominants and
the last 8 bars of "Bill Bailey"

A Section:  I, I, III7, III7, VI7,VI7, II7,II7, V7, V7, I, I , iii, VI7,
iii,  V7
Note also that chords go for two measures each which is useful for
learning - you don't have to count much.

B Section:  I, I, III7, III7, VI7, VI7, II7, II7, (now Bill's last
eight), IV, #IVdim, I, VI7, II7, V7, I, I